Reiteration: Why listening to bands before you go see them is in fact, bad luck.
Kind of on a whim after deciding to skip out on the Warped Tour in Camden this past Friday, I decided to join Blair for another date two days later and make the three hour journey to Scranton, PA (insert jokes about The Office here). I woke up early, applied sunscreen that it turns out I didn't need, and went on my way. As soon as I got in the car, The Street Dogs were playing. Any superstitions about this situation were put to rest by the fact that I had no intention of seeing the Street Dogs that day. After that (we may have listened to The Germs first, I can't really remember) I decided to pop in Anchors Aweigh by The Bouncing Souls in an attempt to hype myself up for seeing them for the second time later that day. After about two tracks, rain clouds rolled in and about halfway through the CD it started to pour rain as we were making our way into the mountains. We went through a tunnel and came out on the other side to find that it had stopped raining, although the weather still looked questionable, and once the CD finished I decided to put in a band that I knew we weren't going to see that day, just in case.
But the damage was done. Once we finally got off the exit and were literally about two miles from the parking lot, we got caught in the concert traffic thanks to the excellent planning on the part of whoever organized it, in which there was only one two way road that lead to where the concert was. We sat in traffic for an hour, and not-so-uncharacteristically, I felt like my kidneys were going to pop from how badly I had to go to the bathroom and how long I had been holding it for. I ended up leaving in the car in the traffic jam to go find somewhere to relieve myself, and met up with Blair once that was over with. We viewed the really poorly put together band listing, and much to our chagrin, we had missed Against Me! (Blair had also missed The Street Dogs. Hmm...), and The Bouncing Souls were nowhere to be found on the band listing despite what the website had informed me of the night before. I later found out that the website was wrong, and they hadn't planned to play that day.
And then it started raining again. By rain I don't mean a nice drizzle or even a gentle stream, I mean one that was equivalant to several billion multiplications of the piss I had taken about an hour earlier when I ran out of the car with my legs squeezed together. The crowd errupted into chaos, a tent blew over, everyone was scrambling for cover and then being told to get out of the tents by people who worked there, while they sat comfortably under them being dry, and thus retaining the sand in their vaginas. Then it started hailing while I was squished inbetween a mass of people that were all getting collectively more and more pissed off as hailstones pelted the backs of their necks (this was another brilliant setup by whoever organized this event, because this one particular area was congested with people the entire day, and there was no way to get around), and then I try and seek refuge in a tent packed with people, all of whom told me to get out. Before this I had tried to duck under Against Me!'s tent to at least keep my head dry and thinking I could also meet them at the same time, but someone decided to hit the top of the tent, and all of the water that had been sitting on the top poured directly on me. I whimpered a little bit on the inside and then kept going. So anyway, I made my way over to the tent where I had been seperated from Blair about an hour ago (he spent the entire time dry inside a stage that had a huge tent over it), and once I got in there it was too packed with people for me to get in, so I decided I could at least get close to it and feel the warmth of the 10,000 kids that ranged from ugly to kind of ugly that were packed together inside. Eventually I managed to hop over the guard rail, and then it stopped raining about 5 minutes later, and by this point I was soaked beyond redemption.
So, the moral of the story here is that Warped Tour sucks and is usually not worth it in a way, but was definitely not worth it this year.
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
...I see you feel very strongly about cats versus skunks. I do not feel as though I can compete with such devotion...
Post a Comment