since it's the time of the year that everyone compiles music-related lists in their blogs, I figured it was time to jump the bandwagon. This list will be pretty poorly sequenced.
2007 playlist:
"The Sons of Cain" - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
"We've Got Everything" - Modest Mouse
"Horse Hunter" - The Dillinger Escape Plan
"Bottom of the World" - Tom Waits
"Bodysnatchers" - Radiohead
"Floorplan" - Tegan and Sara
"Phantom Limb" - The Shins
"None Shall Pass" - Aesop Rock
"Your English Is Good" - Tokyo Police Club
"Ocean of Noise" - The Arcade Fire
"Start the Show" - Common
"Semi-Fiction" - The Fall of Troy
"No I in Threesome" - Interpol
"Hot Thang" - Talib Kweli
"Wanderlust King" - Gogol Bordello
"Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
Album of the year (to me at least): "The Con" - Tegan and Sara. I didn't pick the actual album up until two days ago, but I already had the majority of the songs in some form or another on my computer, and I found myself listening to it more than anything else that came out this year. I would have never expected to get into them, since I wrote them off as lame dyke folk/pop that struck me as some kind of cross between Melissa Etheridge, Le Tigre, and Alvin and the Chipmunks when I first heard them a few years ago, but I gave them another chance when this album came out, and was very pleasantly surprised. Their songwriting is solid and original while still managing to be catchy, and the songs have a real sincerity about them that stuck out to me more so than anything else I heard this year (which is a difficult feat when their competition is bands like Radiohead, The Arcade Fire, and Ted Leo).
That's all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment